- Big Brothers Big Sisters is not your typical organization. They help children realize their potential and build their futures. They nurture children and strengthen communities.
- They believe that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Most children served by Big Brothers Big Sisters live in single-parent and low-income families, or households where a parent is incarcerated. As the nation’s largest donor and volunteer supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”).
- By providing a system of ongoing evaluation and support, Big Brothers Big Sisters is proven by independent studies to help families. This system improves the odds that Littles will perform better in school, avoid violence and illegal activities, and have stronger relationships with their parents and others.
- Fact: Children matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister are 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs, 27% less likely to begin using alcohol and 52% less likely to skip school.
- Headquartered in Philadelphia with a network of nearly 400 agencies across the country (including our hometown-Rochester, NY), Big Brothers Big Sisters serves a quarter million children annually.
- A 2009 study conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Big Brothers Big Sisters found that adults who were matched for at least one year as children report that having a Big Brother or Big Sister played an integral role in who they are today by positively influencing their self-confidence providing stability, changing their perspective on life and pushing them to set higher goals.
We encourage you to learn more about this great organization and how it helps local communities.
Happy Holidays from the all of us at NimbleUser!