Ahh, but if it were only the guides and manifestos … On the way, I’m passing through a gauntlet of Nine Habits, Four Agreements, Six Values, and Two Affirmations.
- Be proactive, begin with the end in mind, and put first things first.
- Seek first to understand and then to be understood, think win-win, and synergize!
- Sharpen the saw, teach the habits, and retrospect.
- Be impeccable with your word, and always do your best.
- Don’t make assumptions, and don’t take anything personally.
- Practice continuous improvement, enjoy the ride, and think long term.
- Be humble, empower the customer, and exceed expectations.
While it may seem like principle soup (yum!), I find each set has its own strengths and applications.
- Iterative. The Nine Habits create a mobius workflow and mesh well with working in agile iterations.
- Collaborative. The Four Agreements are an excellent foundation for collaborating with co-workers.
- Customer-centric. The Six Values guide how we can best serve our customers.
- What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself.
- You must be the change you want to see in the world.