Happy National Volunteer Week 2023! Celebrate your volunteers this and every week by ensuring your member volunteers feel the love.
Your member volunteers help move your mission forward, driving success across your organization. Increase volunteer engagement and retention with these tips to show volunteer appreciation and celebrate National Volunteer Appreciation Week!
What is National Volunteer Week?
National Volunteer Week is celebrated annually in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, to recognize the outstanding work of volunteers. Organizations honor volunteers to show the impact of the work in the larger community.
Why is an association’s volunteer program important?
Did you know that member volunteers can help you grow your association? But Community Brands Research estimates that only 23% of association professionals plan to ask their members to volunteer. The bottom line is this—if you want to drive your organization’s mission, you should invest in your volunteer program.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
There are many benefits of volunteering—your members may choose to volunteer because it allows them to give back to your organization. Some members may volunteer for professional reasons like networking at your association, building their resume, or growing their leadership skills.
7 Ways to celebrate National Volunteer Week and show your volunteers you care
Member volunteers are vital in driving your association’s mission. Follow these tips to increase engagement in your volunteer program:
- Get social! Share pictures and acknowledgments on social media for your association and the world to see. Sharing the work of your volunteers can drive volunteer recruitment—publicly acknowledging your volunteer program can attract new volunteers and make your current volunteers feel appreciated. Be sure to tag #VolunteerAppreciationWeek as you celebrate your volunteers to further spread the word.
- Stay in touch. Personally thank your volunteers for their efforts by calling or sending handwritten thank you notes. When you take the time to personally acknowledge the work of your member volunteers, they will feel appreciated and will be more likely to continue to invest in the future.
- Highlight your volunteers. Leverage your online community platform to shoutout the success of your volunteers. Share images and stories to highlight volunteers who have reached 5-, 10-, and 15-year milestones within your volunteer program. Also, consider shouting out ongoing volunteer projects within your program so more members are aware of the good your association is doing. Shining a light on your volunteers will ensure they feel appreciated, and it’s also a great way to boost your volunteer recruitment efforts.
- Organize a special event. To recognize the work of your volunteers, consider hosting a special event to thank your member volunteers. During the event, celebrate your volunteers for their dedication to your program, your mission, and the entire organization. Allow them to share their favorite memories and provide a thank-you gift.
- Send impact reports. Show your volunteers what they are accomplishing in your association’s volunteer program. Provide a one-sheet document on the impact of your members’ volunteer work and thank each volunteer. Ensure you share the document with your entire organization, to recognize your volunteers.
- Offer volunteer perks. Provide a variety of perks to encourage members to join your volunteer program and boost volunteer retention. Perks could include discounts on membership, event registration, allowing members to teach professional development sessions, or offering mentorship opportunities.
- Give awards. Go the extra mile to celebrate your volunteers when you award them for being extraordinary members! Consider creating awards to show you care about your volunteers and their contribution to your association and its mission.
Celebrate your volunteers!
Drive engagement by celebrating your member volunteers this National Volunteer Week. For even more tips to improve your association’s volunteer program, read our whitepaper: How to recruit more volunteers at your association.