Is your association looking for tips to stay relevant to your younger members? If so, you’ll need to get to know Generation Z. Pew Research defines Gen Z as anyone born after 1996, meaning approximately 68 million Generation Z are living in America.
Read our blog for a breakdown of Generation Z and helpful tips to attract young professionals to your association.
7 Gen Z trends your association needs to know
How well do you know Generation Z? Boost your knowledge with these latest Gen Z trends:
1. Statista reports that Generation Z is the most racially and ethnically diverse generation in US history.
2. Deloitte estimates that Gen Z will contribute to over 20% of the workforce by 2030.
3. The latest Community Brands Association Research found 82% of Generation Z prefer connecting on YouTube, 82% on Instagram, and 69% on TikTok.
4. Pew Research found that Gen Z is on track to be the most well-educated generation yet, with individuals being less likely to drop out of high school and more likely to enroll in a two-year or four-year college.
5. In the Global Millennial and Gen Z Survey, 40% of Gen Z respondents volunteered or have been a member of a community organization, non-profit, or charity.
6. Springtide Research discovered that 82% of Gen Z believe mentorship opportunities are crucial to their professional and personal success, yet only 38% have them. For the Gen Z respondents, mentorships helped them find meaning at work, allowing them to thrive and make authentic connections.
7. Community Brands Research reports that 76% of young professionals join an association within the first five years of employment.
5 actions your association should take to stay top of mind with Gen Z
Now that you know a bit more about Generation Z, you’re ready to attract more young professionals to your organization and boost your overall member retention. Follow these tips to get started:
1. Offer continuing education opportunities. All of your members value ongoing training opportunities, but Gen Z especially appreciates continuing education options. Attract young professionals with unique content offerings and support your continuing education program with modern technology like learning management software (LMS). Investing in an LMS allows you to personalize the learner experience and drive value for young professionals.
TECH TIP: Integrate Nimble AMS with Crowd Wisdom to attract Gen Z members and improve your learner experience. Crowd Wisdom seamlessly syncs with Nimble AMS to drive member engagement and personalize learning.
2. Provide career guidance. Because 76% of young professionals join associations within the first five years of employment, you’ll want to prioritize career insights as a member benefit. Look for job board technology that integrates with your association management software (AMS) to position you as a leader in industry insights. Noteworthy features will include career pathing resources, placement services, career coaches, and a job board.
TECH TIP: When you integrate YM Careers with Nimble AMS, you can foster your Gen Z members’ careers and boost recruitment and retention.
3. Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. Including diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives at your organization is a fantastic way to reach young professionals. Embracing DEI principles will help empower the most diverse generation to date, Gen Z, helping them feel seen at your organization.
Consider creating a diverse group of volunteers to lead DEI initiatives at your association, recruiting young professionals to serve on the committee. When you plug Gen Z members into volunteer positions, they’ll feel connected to your organization’s larger mission, driving member engagement and retention.
4. Make networking easy. According to a report published by Handshake, 67% of surveyed Gen Z believe you don’t need to meet in person to make a professional connection. 80% of Gen Z report it’s easier to make professional connections than in previous generations because of the digital world.
Leverage innovative technology at your association to ensure young professional members build their networks and feel at home in your organization. Look for an AMS that offers a built-in online community platform so your Gen Z members can network, meeting members of all generations, backgrounds, and generations.
TECH TIP: Use Nimble AMS and the built-in online community platform, Nimble Communities, to make networking easy for your Gen Z members. Create a subgroup for young professionals so Gen Z members connect with your organization the minute they join, driving engagement over their lifelong member journey.
5. Ask for Gen Z feedback. Communicate with younger members, asking them what they need from your organization. Young professionals are more likely to invest in your association if you ask for their feedback and take steps to implement their suggestions. Consider leveraging pulsing surveys, quick one or two question surveys sent bi-weekly, to capture Gen Z member feedback.
TECH TIP: With Nimble AMS you’ll have access to the Salesforce AppExchange so you can find the best survey solution for your Gen Z members. You’ll have access to over 7,000 apps that seamlessly integrate with your data, making surveying your members easy.
Learn more about recruiting Gen Z members to your association
Are you looking for even more strategies to attract Generation Z members to your organization? Leverage our free toolkit for helpful tips: The Association’s Guide to Gen Z Members.